Wanna know what a #HIFD is? Can Amanda keep her success streak going for the third week in a row? Check out the latest episode of Swashbuckled! to find out! (unless your name is Carin Sharin, then just turn it off right now!)
Read on for episode breakdown
Ingredients in this week’s episode:
I went into this week feeling extra confident, with two successful weeks under my belt, I thought I would be able to keep the streak going forever! But Marie SWASHBUCKLED me with her ingredients this week. Most notably, the Wild Blueberry Muffins (which were delicious on their own).
Speaking of delicious, that Sweet Sriracha Uncured Bacon Jerky was a little piece of heaven on earth, so do yourself a favor and pick some of that up, stat!
So with all those yummy standalone ingredients, why didn’t the dish work?
Well, for one thing, the texture was funky. The idea of carbs on carbs on carbs was a bust. The quinoa made the casserole extra mushy, and the blueberry muffins didn’t crisp up, taking the mush to the next level. The spice in the jerky didn’t carry through as expected either, so more flavor and spice needed to be infused into the dish.
Below is the recipe…but, do yourself a favor and don’t make it! Instead, if you are interested in trying this out, make some changes and see what you can do to improve this Highly Instagrammable Fail Dish (#HIFD).
Definitely Not Gumbo Casserole
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 bag Butternut Squash
- 1 Chayote Squash, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1/2 Pineapple, peeled and diced
- 2 Dorot Garlic Cubes
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 bag Frozen Shrimp, thawed and tail removed
- 1/2 – 1 cup Chicken Stock*
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa*
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- Strussel Topping:
- 2 Wild Blueberry Muffins, crumbled.**
- 1 bag Sweet Sriracha Uncured Bacon Jerky
- 1/2 cup Oat Bran
- First off – Don’t make this meal the same way I did, unless you really want to not be satisfied with the final product. If you insist, proceed to step two.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat Olive Oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in butternut squash, chayote, and tomatoes. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, then add pineapple, salt, garlic and shrimp. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, then add broth and cooked quinoa and cook down (*or don’t add those and see how it goes. That is what i would have done differently). Transfer mixture to a baking dish.
- In a separate dish, combine crumbled blueberry muffins (but…why??), bacon jerky and oat bran. Top on baking dish and bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until top is brown. **But, if you want to make this dish even better, swap out the blueberry muffins for cornbread, and add some shredded mozzarella cheese in there. Omit the quinoa altogether and use just a little bit of chicken broth…