Low maintenance with BIG seasonal flavor- Carnitas and Butternut squash enchiladas for a dinner party.
I thought of this idea when I had leftover butternut squash cans in my pantry and carnitas in my fridge… it all seemed to fit together after that!
TJ’s Traditional Premade Carnitas
Recipe by Bonnie Kuss
- 2 Cans TJ’s butternut squash puree
- 1 jar chipotle salsa
- ½ cup chicken broth, veggie broth, or water
- 8-10 Tortillas of Choice ( Corn or flour )
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ cup Fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 round of TJ’s Queso Fresco Or 1 wedge of Cotija crumbled
- 1 Package Carnitas TJS pre made
- Make it totally Vegetarian or add extra fiber by using 2 cans of drained black beans instead of Carnitas.
- Combine puree, salsa, and ½ CUP broth or water in bowl, add spices and stir set aside
- Place carnitas into separate bowl and shred or chop into small pieces add 1- 1 ½ cup of sauce to pork and stir to combine
- If using corn tortilla, warm in a pan with oil oil to prevent cracking before rolling, If using flour tortillas feel free to skip that step. Lets get rolling!
- Place 1 cup sauce on bottom of pan
- Take 1 tortilla, add 2 rounded TB full of sauced meat, 1 TB cheese and roll up, set inside pan seam side down and repeat * *Continue rolling until you have used all your filling.
- Pour remaining sauce mixture on top of enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes remove foil and sprinkle with ½ – ¾ cup cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese has mostly melted.
- Top with the fresh cilantro right before serving!